Yoga Teacher Training
for spiritual revolutionaries
VINYASA FLOW Jahrestraining
4 Modules October 2017 until August 2018
with Sophia Ruhs
Maitri Yoga Chiemsee
In this comprehensive 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training we will embark on a deep and transformative journey through body, mind and spirit. The path of yoga has always been about kindling the light with-in and experiencing union with the life-force that pervades all. A Yogi is a spiritual revolutionary, a healer on many levels: physical, emotional and mental. This intensive training is an invitation to bring your practice to the next level, learn to use the tools of yoga for self-growth and healing, embark on the path of positive transformation and share your light by learning to be an inspiring and authentic teacher. It is a powerful and unique opportunity to ignite your heart-fire, practice radical self-acceptance, transcending fear and transforming emotional baggage into catalysts for growth. This holistic teacher training will guide you deeper into all aspects of the yoga practice, supporting you as you courageosly step into the shining embodiment of your highest Self. Rooted in the physical practice of Vinyasa Flow Yoga, we will be given invaluable tools for navigating the waves both on the mat and in our daily life.
This 200 Hour Training is certified by the international Yoga Alliance.
Find more informaiton below…
Modul 1: October 28th – November 5th 2017
Modul 2: January 20th – 28th 2018
Modul 3: April 14th – 22nd 2018
Modul 4: July 28th – August 5th 2018
The price includes 31 full training days, a teacher training manual and 3 organic, vegan and wheat-free meals a day, as well as shared accommodation in holiday homes close by (other accomodation options also possible)
Ealry bird price (registration and payment by September 1st 2017):
food & accommodation 1600€ + yoga teacher training fee 2200€ = 3800€
Normal price (registration and payment after September 1st 2017):
food & accommodation 1600€ + yoga teacher training fee 2500€ = 4100€
Scholarships & Karmayoga
***Should you feel a heart-calling to be part of this training put you a currently in a tight financial situation, then please do not hesistate to contact us. We are happy to support low-imcome Yogis through scholorship and karma yoga exchange.
Yoga Teacher Training for spiritual revolutionaries
In this comprehensive 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training we will embark on a deep and transformative journey through body, mind and spirit. The path of yoga has always been about kindling the light with-in and experiencing union with the life-force that pervades all. A Yogi is a spiritual revolutionary, a healer on many levels: physical, emotional and mental. This intensive training is an invitation to bring your practice to the next level, learn to use the tools of yoga for self-growth and healing, embark on the path of positive transformation and share your light by learning to be an inspiring and authentic teacher. It is a powerful and unique opportunity to ignite your heart-fire, practice radical self-acceptance, transcending fear and transforming emotional baggage into catalysts for growth. This holistic teacher training will guide you deeper into all aspects of the yoga practice, supporting you as you courageosly step into the shining embodiment of your highest Self. Rooted in the physical practice of Vinyasa Flow Yoga, we will be given invaluable tools for navigating the waves both on the mat and in our daily life. This 200 Hour Training is certified by the international Yoga Alliance.
Creating space for the inner teacher to shine
The teaching path is a beautiful way to deepen your own understanding, hone your skills, and grow in your capacity to hold space for others. For those of you with a deep love and enthusiasm for Yoga, teaching this beautiful practice may may be the natural next step. The 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training for Spiritual Revolutionaries, created by experienced Yogini (and AcroYogi) Sophia Ruhs, provides a unique opportunity to learn the art of teaching Yoga in an authentic, heart-centered and safe way, creating spaces for healing and transformation for your students. We will delve deep into the practice, refining our own embodiment, taking our practice to the next level and finding our own voice and strengths as a teacher. We will explore different styles of teaching Yoga, allowing everyone to find their own personal path. A large focus of the training will be to explore where our true passions lie, and what the practice means to us, thereby allowing our personal gifts to unfold and find our own unique way in how we would like to share the greatest gift – which is ourselves – with the world through the practice of Yoga. This teacher training will also supply you with a treasure chest of tools and knowledge as well as cultivating solid skills so that you are able to share all aspects of the practice in a safe and joyous way. Taking the torch of a teacher means igniting your own potential and is a powerful means to deepen your own understanding of the practice.
Together we will explore what it means to be a modern-day Yogi and what the role of a teacher is. In Sanskrit there are two words to describe a teacher – Guru and mittra. Let’s start with the word Guru. While in the Western world, Guru has come to have some negative associations, the original meaning is ”that which leads from darkness to light”. It is also sometimes translated as that which leads from ignorance to understanding or from the false to the true. A rough translation is simply ”a teacher”. In this sense being a yoga teacher is often about helping others to navigate through shadow-aspects of the Self, using breath, compassion and pure presence to bring light into the darkness. Even when we are seemingly ”just” practicing Asana, openings in the body may enable an emotional release. Certain poses may challenge our picture of who we think we are. Many things may come to the surface so it is important as a teacher to be able to hold space for growth on all levels through deepening your ability to listen, withholding judgement, being present and compassionate, thereby acting as a guide as you help your students to navigate their own emotional landscape. This is the meaning of Mittra: a friend, or a guide. We would like to impart tools for adressing the many emotional aspects that may arise through the practice. It’s important to remember that the role of the teacher is not to fill our students with information, but rather to help them navigate the inner unfolding of their inate potential. In the words of Albert Einstein:
”A student is not a container you have to fill, but a torch you have to light up”
Yoga for Spiritual revolutionaries
”A great revolution in just one single individual will help achieve a change in the destiny
of a soceity and, further, will enable a change in the destiny of humankind.”
– Daisaku Jkeda
Yoga is a tool for change. As we grow as an indivual and in our ability to love, our capacity to be compassionate and connect with others expands. In this process we more and more awaken to the suffering of other beings and the planet, and will feel an inner call to ourselves be the change which the world needs. We cannot change others but we can change ourselves, being a shining example that inspires others and activating our life’s purpose. We will practice radical, honest and compassionate self-investigation taking a deep look at our own lifestyle and contribution to the situation of soceity and the planet alongside learn tools for creating community, and connecting to a peaceful movement of global change-makers. In the words of Seane Corn ”How will you take your yoga off the mat and into the world?” As we find our deepest passion and motivation for being of service and an agent of change, the path to embodied, heart-centered and conscious action naturally unfolds.
”Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, commited people can change the world.
Indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead
To share the practice of Yoga, you do not need to be a super yogi with a perfect handstand or master of Asana. What is required moreover is the humbleness for studentship, the dedication to refine your own embodiment, and the ability to create a safe and caring space for your students. We will spend lots of time every day on yogic embodiment, refining and polishing our own practice. A deep understanding of the practice is needed in order to share your skills with integrity. This means we will be doing lots of yoga asana, cover lots of theory and bring the theory into practice, becoming more joyful and at ease in our bodies day for day.
Theory and principles of teaching
On a practical level we will discuss theory, philosophy and principles of teaching Yoga, such a layering classes, theming classes, teaching to different levels or population groups, just to name a few. Creating bridges between the practices of yoga asana, pranayama, meditation and healing and learning how to seamlessly weave different elements together to create a whole and unique experience for the students. An emphasis will also be on how to use our creativity to make each class fun and unique, giving students just what they need.
Vinyasa Flow Yoga
While an emphasis will be placed on each student of the teacher training program finding their own unique way of teaching, the practice that Sophia Ruhs will share is rooted in Vinyasa Flow Yoga. Vinyasa Flow is a dynamic form of yoga where asanas and breath unite in perfect harmony. ”Vi” means in a special way or order and ”nyasa” means to place, set or lay. In Vinyasa Flow, individual asanas are specially placed like beads on a mala in an intelligent sequence, connected by the thread of the breath, thereby progressivly strengthening and opening the body, allowing the heart to expand and the mind to become still. Attention to alignment, the movement of Prana (energy) through the body and skillfully giving verbal cues and physical adjustments to students both while in flow and statically holding poses helps students to correct their own alignment, feel from the inside out, and gain a deeper understanding of each yoga posture, thereby preventing injury. We will be given the skill set to teach to different levels of practitioners and will learn how to read bodies and ”read the room” so that Asanas are given suitable to the level of the class. We will also learn how to give more advanced options or easier modifications for individuals who need them, adapting to limitations or injury in the context of a group or private class. We will focus on teaching in a way that encourages students to feel from the inside out, discarding notions of performance or competition and giving utmost importance to safety, healing and longevity in the practice. In addition to Vinyasa Flow, we will also be given the tools to teach gentle Hatha-style or Yoga Slow Flow classes. We will also learn about teaching to special groups such as Prenatal, the elderly and students with physical limitations.
The Training is comprised of 4 modules that span over a year with time inbetween to digest and review what is learned. Each module is between 7 – 10 days long and will reflect the inner shifts through the seasons. It will be a compact and intense time of learning and transformation as we will be in session aprox. 10 hours per day. In the middle of each module we will have half a day off. We will spend time for strengthening our personal focus and place a large emphasis on refining our teaching skills through practice-teaching in different sized groups, gathering feedback from eachother and the teachers and providing eachother a mirror for valuable self-reflection. Together we will create a safe space supporting each individual to grow, be inspired, inspire others and reach for our highest potential.
Yoga Asana and Energetic Anatomy
* Intensive study and practice of Asanas
* Energetic anatomy, yogic understanding of the energy body
* physical anatomy and physiology
* the connection between energetic and physical anatomy
* Energy centers (chakras) and the mind-body connection
* learn how the body holds the cellular memory of all experiences
* Energetic understanding of Asanas, Pranayama, Mudra, Bandha & Mantra
* The movement of Prana (energy and life-force) through the body. The different directions and qualities of Prana and how movement and Asana can stimulate different qualities.
* Therapeutic effect of Yoga
* correct allignment in asanas, sessions focusing on various families of postures such as standing, hip-opening, twists, forward bends, back bends, and inversions
* deepening and refining your self-practice
* Adjusting and assisting students in both static poses and in flow
* partner adjustments
* how to use props
* Sanskrit names of yoga postures
* different styles of yoga such as Vinyasa Flow, gentle yoga, yoga slow flow
* lunar practices to cultivate soma
* solar practices such as inversions, armbalances and corework
* Hands on assisting of classes from the ongoing class schedule at Maitri Yoga Chiemsee.
* learn to develop full-length classes with intelligent sequencing and theming
* ”Omwork” and self-study projects to complete inbetween the modules and explore certain topics more in depth to later share with the other students in session.
Theory and Yoga Philosophy
* Yogic Ethics (yamas and niyamas)
* Yoga Philosophy. Exploring classic texts such as the Yoga Sutras, Hatha Yoga Pradipika and Bhagavad Gita
* Theory and phillosophy of the four paths of yoga: Jnana Yoga (the path of knowledge, wisdom, introspection and contemplation), Bhakti Yoga (the path of the heart and of devotion, love and compassion), Karma Yoga (the path of action, being in service to other, giving our best and offering our actions to God and the highest good), Raja Yoga (the path of Sadhana, practice of yoga and meditation) which are all part of the whole called Yoga.
* History of Yoga
* Ayurveda for Yogis: Living in harmony with the inner and outer nature
* yogic diet – influence of diet on the mind. Vegetarianism/veganism from an ethical, spiritual, and health standpoint.
* yogic Lifestyle in modern times
* Cleansing techniques (Kriyas und Shatkarma)
* self-massage (Abhyanga)
* miracle of the breath, breath as supplier of life-energy
* The yoga of breath. Pranayama as a practice to increase the life force with-in
* healing qualities of Sanskrit Mantras
* Bhakti: singing mantras and heart songs
* bijas, seed sounds
* explore and deepen your healing capacities through massage and other healing arts
* Thai massage savasana assists, Principles of Loving Touch from Thai massage
* conscious touch and intuitive massage
* energetic healing
* Restorative Yoga-massage
Meditation and relaxation
* meditation and the art of creating inner stillness
* relaxation techniques
Partner Yoga and the Sangha
* let your inner child shine with AcroYoga
* learn how to integrate a variaty of partner yoga forms including partner asana, trio asana flow, Circle ceremony, partner warm up and meditations
* therapeutic flying a.k.a. ”flying massage”
* creating community through play (games and AcroYoga)
* team building
* circle culture
* council, sharing and wisdom circles
* reflection, sharing, being a mirror for eachother
* non-violent communication
* Finding your unique and authentic voice as a teacher
* holding space
* taking your own space as a teacher, maybe even stepping out of your comfort zone speaking in front of larger groups and developing confidence as a teacher so that you can empower others. Teaching to your strengths.
* using voice and wording to set the bhava (feeling mind and class mood)
* class sequencing and layering using Vinyasa Krama
* teaching to different levels: beginners, intermediate, advanced and mixed level groups
* teaching in different formats, such as weekly classes, private classes, workshops or retreats
* skills for leading weekly classes and inpiration for workshops and retreats
* Theming for example by focusing on a specific area or the body, Chakra, season, spiritual or other topic.
* learning to adjust your teching plan according to student’s needs, how to ”read the room”, improvise and go with the flow
* Your role as a teacher, guide and space-holder
* use of sound and music in class
* practice teaching
* holding space for emotional release
* releasing limiting beliefs and allowing yourself to be an unabashed expression of purpose and joy
* personal journalling
* integrating and drawing upon the strengths of your own personal background in other movement practices
* rituals for healing and clearing the space
* business, organisation and administration
Preliminary daily schedule (subject to change)
15 – 18 Arrival, check-in, Chai and cookies 🙂
19 – 21:30 Opening Circle followed by a soft yoga practice or sauna
Main training days
6:15 – 7 Mantra & Meditation
7 – 7:15 Teabreak
7:15 – 9:15 Yoga
9:15 – 10:30 breakfast
10:30 – 13:30 Energetic Anatomy & Asana Workshop
13:30 – 15 Lunch
15 – 18 Yoga Philosophy, Lifestyle and practice teaching
18 – 19:30 Dinner
19:30 – 21 ”Omwork”, council, Satsang, Mantra-singing, Thai massage Tempel…
6:15 – 7 Mantra & Meditation
7 – 7:15 Teabreak
7:15 – 9:15 Yoga
9:15 – 10:30 breakfast
10:30 – 13:30 Energetic Anatomy & Asana Workshop
13:30 – 15 Lunch
15 – 16:30 Closing Circle
Upon completing this comprehensive Yoga Teacher Training for Spiritual Revolutionaries, designed in accordance with the Yoga Alliance requirments you will receive a diploma certifying that you have attended 200 hours of Vinyasa Flow teacher training with Sophia Ruhs and guest teachers. At the end of the course you will be a Certified Yoga Instructor and you may register with the Yoga Alliance, simply by sending in a copy of your certificate.
The most valuable asset you will gain from this teacher training is not the diploma, but the experience you gather. What makes you a good teacher is not a paper but your own knowledge, authenticity, willingness to remain a student at heart, integrity and compassion for yourself and your students.
It is great if you are able to embody most of these skills… the more you have, the more you will be able to get out of this training. But it is not a requirement to have all of these skills so see it more as a guidline. While this training is ideal for those of you on the teaching path, it is also possible to join if you are simply wishing to invest in your own personal practice.
* an experienced yoga practitioner with a minimum of one year regular yoga practice
* Be passionate about the practice and eager to share it with others!
* Desire to develop your own unique and authentic way of sharing and teaching Yoga
* be able to keep a student mindset
* willingness to learn and grow
* ability to listen to your own needs and boundaries and take them seriously
* love creating space for healing
* see yoga as more than just asana
* meditation – any type as long as it’s something you have practiced and not just read about
* feel comfortable upside down
* Minimum 18 years of age… no limit to the top!
* enjoy being upside down!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Where does the training take place and how do I get there?
A: he Training takes place at Maitri Yoga Chiemsee. Find directions here: http://maitri-yoga-chiemsee.de/kontakt/
The nearest airport is Munich International Airport
Q: Is it o.k. to arrive at the training later or leave the training earlier?
A: If you are only coming a few hours later then that is fine, however if it’s much more than that it might be difficult for you to catch up. If an important personal issue comes up you can always leave at any time during the training, however we can only give the certificate to those who have completed the full training.
Q: May I still join even if I don’t fufill all the pre-requisites?
A: Yes! The main point is that you are eager to share this beautiful practice. We can also find together beforehand which knowledge gaps are most important for you to fill before the training begins.
Q: I am pregnant, can I still join?
A: In general, pregnancy brings many changes in the body and is not the best time for being in an intensive training. However if you are commited to the practice and also committed to listening to your own needs and taking a step back when needed, it may be possible for you to join. Please contact us personally if you are pregnant.
Q: Will I receive a certificate for this training?
A: Yes. Upon completion of the 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training for spiritual revolutionaries you will receive a diploma certifying that you have attended 200 hours of Vinyasa Flow teacher training with Sophia Ruhs and may send in your certificate to the Yoga Alliance to receive their accreditation.
Q: What happens if I have to leave the training earlier?
A: Find our Terms and Conditions here: http://www.flying-yogis.de/index.php?loc=impressum
Q: How many participants will join?
A: We have a minimum of 6 participants, and a maximum of 30.If you have any other questions please write to email@example.com
Heart of Yoga by TKV Desikachar
The Yoga Sutras
The Bhagavad Gita
The Key Muscles of Yoga: Scientific Keys, Volume 1 by Ray Long and Chris Macivor
Crazy, Sexy Diet by Kriss Carr