Flying Yogis 200 Hour Teacher Training
let your spirit shine with yoga, healing arts, and acrobatics
Bring your practice to the next level and learn to share your love of lunar and solar partner- and Acro Yoga practices in an authentic, safe and heart-centered way. Experienced AcroYoga teachers Winfried and Sophia Ruhs will guide you on this beautiful journey, exploring yoga, healing arts such as Thai massage and partner acrobatics.
Three pillars of the practice:
* connect with the wisdom of yoga, pure presence and the miracle of the breath
* explore and deepen your healing capacities through massage and other healing arts
* empower through mindful, strengthening and playful acrobatics and let your inner child shine
Finding the teacher within
The teaching path is a beautiful way to deepen your own understanding, hone your skills, and grow in your capacity to hold space for others. For those of you with a deep love and enthusiasm for Acro Yoga, teaching this beautiful practice may be the natural next step. The Flying Yogis 200 Hour Teacher Training, created by experienced AcroYogis Sophia and Winfried Ruhs provides a unique opportunity to learn the art of teaching Acro Yoga in an authentic, heart-centered, safe and playful way. We will delve deep into the practice, refining our own embodiment, taking our practice to the next level and finding our own voice and strengths as a teacher. By exploring where our true passions lie, and what the practice means to us, we allow the inner teacher to shine. A large focus of the training will be allowing our personal gifts to unfold and find our unique way in how we would like to share the greatest gift – which is ourselves – with the world, through this beautiful practice of Acro Yoga. This teacher training will also supply you with a treasure chest of tools and knowledge as well as cultivating solid skills so that you are able to share both lunar and solar aspects of the practice in a safe and joyous way and create community wherever you go! We will learn how to lead classes either alone or with a co-teacher and gather inspiration for creating longer events such as workshops or retreats. Taking the torch of a teacher means igniting your own potential and is a powerful means to deepen your own understanding of the practice.
To share the practice of Acro Yoga, you do not need to be a super yogi, professional acrobat, or Thai massage master. What is required moreover is the humbleness for studentship, the dedication to refine your own embodiment, and the ability to create a safe space for your students.
We will spend lots of time every day practicing basic skills as well as taking our own practice to the next level. A deep understanding of the practice is needed in order to share your skills with integrity. This means we will be doing lots of yoga asana, massage, inversions practice, basing and ofcourse flying, flying, flying to new heights! We will cover lots of theory and bring the theory into practice, becoming stronger every day.
Creating space for growth on all levels
While we do promise that you will learn new ”washing machines”, massage flows and excercises for making your handstands ”tighter” and stronger, our foremost focus will be on the role of the teacher. In sanskrit there are two words to describe a teacher â€“ Guru and mittra. Let’s start with the word Guru. While in the Western world, Guru has come to have some negative associations, the original meaning is ”that which leads from darkness to light”. We could also translate this as from ignorance to understanding or from the false to the true. Often the word Guru is used to describe a teacher. Mittra means a friend, or a guide. The practice of Acro Yoga can catalyze growth on many levels: what we see on the surface is the physical growth which comes from refining our embodiment and expanding our range of movement, however on the mental and emotional levels there can be a lot happeining to. The loving touch of Thai massage and other therapeutic elements may create space for emotional release while partner work in general provides a wealth of opportunity for honing our communication skills. Doing higher level acrobatics or really anything which is new may mean exploring our own boundaries. This type of exploration can also cause things to come up, emotions and feelings to appear. Many things may come up so it is important as a teacher to be able to hold space for growth on all levels through deepening your ability to listen, withhold jugement, be present and compassionate. And also to create an atmosphere where every student feels accepted and celebrated for who he or she is without expectation for performance. When shadow aspects of the self surface it’s important to allow this to happen and use it as a catalyst for deeper learning. We would like to impart tools for adressing the many emotional aspects that may arise through the practice, in this way being a teacher, friend and guide. It’s important to remember that the role of the teacher is not to fill our students with information, but rather to help them navigate the inner unfolding of their inate potential. In the words of Albert Einstein:
”A student is not a container you have to fill, but a torch you have to light up”
Theory and principles of teaching
On a practical level we will discuss theory, philosophy and principles of teaching Acro Yoga, such a layering classes, theming classes, teaching to different levels or population groups, just to name a few. Creating bridges between the practices of yoga, healing arts and acrobatics and learning how to seamlessly weave different elements together to create a whole and unique experience for the students. An emphasis will also be on how to use our creativity to make each class fun, unique and giving students just what they need.
Training embodiment in:
* Yoga Asana. Focus on Yoga Flows as preparation for lunar and solar practices, such as asana flows to prepare for giving massage, flying and basing
* Partner yoga and yoga adjustments
* lunar practices such as therapeutic flying a.k.a. ”flying massage” and Thai massage
* solar practices such as inversions, armbalances, partner acrobatics and Acro Yoga washing machines
We take the Yoga in Acro Yoga seriously. Before we connect with others through this joyful and playful practice it’s important to connect with in. That’s why this training will include:
* The yoga of breath. Pranayama as a practice to increase the life force with in, and breath as a means to cultivate connection with a partner.
* The movement of Prana (energy and life-force) through the body. The different directions and qualities of Prana and how movement can stimulate different qualities.
* Bhava – feeling mind
* meditation and the art of creating inner stillness
* yoga philosophy
* yoga for warming up and cooling down at the beginning and end of class
* relaxation techniques
* Thai massage in supine, prone, side and seated positions
* transitions from Thai massage to therapeutic flying
* conscious touch
* intuitive massage
* massage games
* theory of Thai massage
* Inversions and spotting
* partner acrobatics
* training techniques
Community and play
* Games, games and more games!
* team building
* circle culture
* council and wisdom circles
* reflection, sharing, being a mirror for eachother
* community building
* non-violent communication
* cultivating trust
* Finding your unique and authentic voice as a teacher
* holding space for the group
* holding space for emotional release
* taking your own space as a teacher, maybe even stepping out of your comfort zone speaking in front of larger groups
* integrating and drawing upon the strengths of your own personal background in other movement practices
* using voice and wording to set the bhava (class mood)
* teaching to different levels: beginners, intermediate, advanced and mixed level groups
* teaching in different formats, such as weekly classes, private classes, workshops or retreats
* planning classes, layering and theming
* learning to adjust your teaching plan according to student’s needs, how to ”read the room”, improvise and go with the flow
* co-teaching and solo teaching
* Your role as a teacher, guide and space-holder
* singing mantras and heart songs
Business and administration
* Promoting events
* developing your signature style to attract certain target groups